Harry Street was a renowned legal scholar and jurist, known for his work on the law of torts and civil liberties. This small collection of papers includes his notes and writings relating to torts, especially his Law of Torts, and Freedom, the Individual and the Law, the work for which he is best known to the general public. Most of the papers are typescript notes, cuttings, photocopies and published material such as law reports, which Street used for his research. There are also typescripts of revised editions of various publications (many of Street's publications went through several editions). The collection contains very little correspondence, and there is very little relating to his teaching work at the University of Manchester.
The collection has not yet been described in detail. The contents are as follows:
Box 1 Notes relating to revised editions of Freedom, the Individual and the Law, chapter 1-8 [appears to relate to the 4th edition, published in 1978, although some of the material in the files is earlier].
Box 2 As Box, 1 notes for revisions of Freedom, the Individual and the Law, chapter 9-12. There is also a folder predominantly of reviews of the book (1963-1982), and two folders of correspondence (1976-1984), some relating to the publication of the book, but in other cases more general in nature, where it appears individuals were seeking Street's views and advice, having read this book.
Box 3 Law of Torts, papers relating to revisions, 3rd, 4th and 6th editions (1965-1978).
Box 4 Notes on torts
- "/1 Medical"
- /2 "US and Australia"
- /3 "Cases 1971-1975"
- /1 Tort: lectures [1950s-1970s]
- /2 Notes on "Defamation"
- /3 "Privacy" [1960s]
- /4 Tort [1950s-1970s]
- /1 Notes on "Negligence" [1950s-1970s]
- /2 Notes on "Trespass, Land" [1970s]
- /3 Notes on "Occupier's Liability" [1970s]
- /4 Notes on "the Right to Know" [1960s-1970s]
Box 7 Notes
- /1 Contempt of Court Act 1981
- /2 "Chattels"
- /3 "TV and radio" [1950s-1960s], includes correspondence with the Lord Chancellor's Office about their role in reviewing theatrical plays.
- /4 "Aliens"
- /5 "Damages" [1970s]
- /6 "Thalidomide"
Box 8 Notes
- "Police" [1950s]
- "Open government" [1970s]
- "Negligence - specific" [1960s-1980s]
- "Strict Liability" [1960s-1980s]
- /1 Press Complaints Commission
- /2 Notes re Torts
- /3 "Valuers, Halsbury"
- /4 typescript of a book (incomplete) relating to religion and the law [it is unclear whether Street was the author, but it is assumed he was]
- Typescript with textual correction for 7th edition of Law of torts c.1982.
- Notes for Street's lectures on tort, University of Manchester, 1979-1980
- "Tort 1983, reported cases"
Box 11 Three folders of notes on personal injuries law [1960s-1970s].
Box 12 Papers relating to reviews on articles on torts for the International Encyclopaedia of Comparative Law [1970s].
Box 13 Two folders of miscellaneous notes (mixed) relating to torts and civil liberties law.