The papers comprise:
- correspondence and papers, 1898-1932, of William Lionel Hichens, mainly relating to industrial and political affairs
- letters to Hermione Hichens (who became his wife in 1919), 1918-26
- miscellaneous family letters, 1889-95
- printed addresses, 1916-37
- xerographic copies of newspaper cuttings, 1899-1912
- printed pamphlets, 1918-, including W.L. Hichens The functions of government in relation to industry (London: 1918), and Harold Macmillan The state and industry (London: 1932).