Transcript of Thimbleby's Kimberley siege diary, October 1899-February 1900, and photocopyof ration sheet for the week of 18th February.
Diary of Joseph Thimbleby
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.afr.s.2235
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Afr. s. 2235
- Dates of Creation1899-1900
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description1 file
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Joseph Thimbleby was an engine driver during the siege of Kimberley in theSouth African War (1899-1902).
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.
The original diary is in the possession of the Thimbleby family.