Comprises a long religious poem expounding Christian doctrine through imaginative use of the stars; preceded by a dedication to Lady Frances Grantham, a prose dedication to Sir Thomas Grantham, and some epigrammatical lines.
A Christian kalendar, consisting of three starrs and many lights, by Martin Baynes
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt q 53
- Dates of Creationca. 1615
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Latin
- Physical Description1 vol. (, 71 ff.), manuscript. The main text is in a single hand, probably autograph, but the marginal notes may be added in a different hand. The title-page is illuminated in gold with a decorated border and symbols for the sun and stars. The volume is bound in dark brown leather with a little gilt tooling.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Martin Baynes (or Baines) is not otherwise known.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased at Maggs on 25 April 1991.
In English, but with a few Latin phrases.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bcltq53