- Letter from Admiral Max Horton, Commander in Chief, Western Approaches, to Messrs W. Thompson [sic] & Co. Letter contains an extract from the report of the Senior Officer of Escort in which praise is given for the handling of the ship Empire Macalpine and the operation of its aircraft. The letter concludes that this report confirms previous good impressions created by the ship, and that the information should be passed on to the Master of the ship. Contains handwritten annotation "E... M... file.", 1943;
- letter to Messrs. Ben Line Steamers William Thomson & Co in expression of the appreciation of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty of the work of merchant aircraft carriers Empire Macalpine and Empire Mackendrick in the protection of convoys at sea. Also requests that accompanying letters be given to the respective Masters, and states that the cooperation and assistance of the company has contributed "to the notable part played by these ships in the Battle of the Atlantic, 1945; "
- letter from Henry Vaughan Markham, Permanent Secretary to the Admiralty, in thanks for the service of operating Empire Mackendrick, 1945;
- letter from Henry Vaughan Markham, Permanent Secretary to the Admiralty, in thanks for the service of operating Empire Macalpine, 1945.
Correspondence received from the Admiralty
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description