The Legge papers include the diaries of Rev. Legge 1879-1944, and letters from J.B. Legge to his parents, 1929-44.
Papers of Rev. Hugh Legge and Major J.B. Legge
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.eng.c.5231-4,d.2605-34,e.2855-908
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. c. 5231-4, d. 2605-34, e. 2855-908
- Dates of Creation1879-1944
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description88 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Rev. Hugh Legge (1870-1944) was at Haileybury, 1881-9; Trinity College, Oxford, 1889-93 (rowed in the Boat Race, 1893); worked in London and Oxford from ca. 1894; ordained deacon, 1897; Mission of Help to the Church in South Africa, 1904-5; with the Red Cross in Serbia, 1915; rector of Newbold Verdon, Leics., 1917-44. For an obituary, see 'The Public House Parson', The Modern Churchman, 34 (Dec. 1944), 231-4. Major J.B. Legge was his son.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The papers were given to the Library by J.B. Legge in 1946.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.