This volume includes material written by CEM both before and after his retirement from the Guardian at the end of 1925.
Leaders, 26 Sep 1923-24 Dec 1925 (index pages and pp. 1-167). A letter from Stanley Baldwin in response to the leader `Not for publication' of 20 May 1924 is pasted in at p. 33.Dramatic reviews, Sep 1923-Oct 1925 and Jul 1927, including reviews of 3 visits by a French company to the Prince's Theatre in Dec 1923, Dec 1924 and Oct 1925 (pp. 176-7; 179-81; 183; 186-98; 200). Letters of thanks from 2 of the French actors (written in French) are pasted in: from Pierre Fresnay (p. 180 and 197) and from Denis d'Ines (p. 181).Book reviews, Nov 1923-Aug 1925 (pp. 177-9; 183; 185-6; 190-95; 198-201). Articles:
- `A woolly-minded despot', 4 Oct 1924 (p. 190).
- `A vindication: Smith-Dorrien and French: the Le Cateau Epic', 2 Apr 1925 (p. 184).
- `Two Ways of Writing', Manchester Guardian Weekly, 7 Aug 1925 (p. 182).
- `The art of omission', Manchester Guardian Weekly, 14 Aug 1925 (p. 182).
- `What do sculptors try for?' 28 Nov 1925 (p. 159).
- `Meredith: an appreciation', 11 Feb 1928 (p. 185).
Also an announcement, written by C.P. Scott, of CEM's forthcoming retirement: `Retirement of a great journalist', 23 Jul 1925 (p. 124).
Loose material (3 items) comprises: (1) a letter dated 3 Feb 1925 from J.A. Steuart in response to CEM's review of his biography of Robert Louis Stevenson, inserted at p. 191; (2) cutting from the Manchester Guardian Weekly: report of the Guardian's farewell dinner held for CEM at the Manchester Reform Club, 25 Dec 1925, inserted at p. 164. (3) cutting of the article `Meredith: an appreciation', marking the centenary of his birth, 12 Feb 1925. The text is the same as the article on p. 185 listed above, although the column layout is different, possibly from a different publication.