Thomas Manning was an inveterate note-taker, making notes about all aspects of knowledge that interested him. These notes and notebooks cover from his early mathematical and poetical musing, through his travels in China and Tibet to later concerns regarding Roman Catholic emancipation. They have been organised into various sections mainly according to their subject manner.Thus:
- TM/9/1: Notebook with inserts from time at university to later life and covering all topics.
- TM/9/2 - 5 A series of notebooks from Manning's time in China and Tibet including notes on his travels and language studies
- TM/9/6 Loose notes from Chinese period
- TM/9/7 Pocket almanacs with annotations
- TM/9/8 Poetry and Riddles
- TM/9/9 Mathematical Notes and Notebooks
- TM/9/10 Notes on Roman Catholic Emnacipation