- MS 1172;D Letters (4) to Captain Francis Beaufont, October 1832 to August 1833 [Relating to the expedition] 3 leaves, typescript
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Henry Rea/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation1832-1833
- Name of Creator
- Physical DescriptionCirca 4 letters
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The British Expedition 1833-1834 (led by Rea) was dispatched to continue the research carried out by the British Expedition 1830-1833 (leader Henry Biscoe) William Lysle commanded Hopefull until the expedition reached the Falkland Islands where Rea took over. The second expedition ship Rose was crushed in pack-ice at 60°S, 53°W and further exploration was abandoned. Hopefull called at the Falkland Islands where they discovered that Mathew Brisbane, William Dixon and 3 others had been murdered at Port Louis, August 1833.
Alternative Form Available
These are copies.
Location of Originals
The original letters are held by the Admiralty, Hydrographic Department (1982)