Reviews and essays by Palgrave, mainly from periodicals. Collected and boundfor the author's library.
PALGRAVE SIR ROBERT HARRY INGLIS1827-1919 BANKER
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 97 COLL MISC 0448
- Dates of Creation1877-1919
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description4 volumes
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sir Robert Harry Inglis Palgrave 1827 - 1919
Sir Robert Inglis Palgrave was educated at Charterhouse. In 1871 he wrote theTaylor Prize Essay of the Statistical Society. In 1875 he was one ofthree representatives of the English Issuing Country Bankers to give evidenceon their behalf before the Select Committee of the House of Commons on Banksof Issue in 1875. From 1877 to 1883 he was editor of "The Economist"newspaper. He was also President of Section F of the British Association,Southport, 1883. Palgrave served on the Royal Commission to inquire into the Depressionof Trade and Industry, and was patron of the living of Henstead.
His publications include:
- The local taxation of Great Britain and Ireland (1871)
- An analysis of the transactions of the Bank of England forthe years 1844 - 1872: with observations on the relation of the banking reserve of the Bank of England to the current rate of interest (1874)
- Analysis of the minutes of evidence taken before the SelectCommittee of the House of Commons on Banks of Issue, 1875: with a selection from theevidence (1876)
- Dictionary of political economy (1894)
Arranged by date
Conditions Governing Access
Other Finding Aids
Conditions Governing Use