- MS 101/39/1-21;D Letters (21) to William Speirs Bruce, 1911-1918 [Regarding his geological expeditions to South Georgia, 1911-1912 and the South Shetland Islands, 1913-1914] 37 leaves, holograph and typescript
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Ferguson correspondence
- Dates of Creation1911-1918
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical DescriptionCirca 21 letters
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Working for Christian Salvesen and Co. David Ferguson undertook an mineralogical and geological survey of South Georgia in 1912. The whaling fleet gathered samples from the South Orkney Islands, which he used.
During the 1912-1913 whaling season Ferguson sailed on board the whale catcher Hanka from where he undertook mineralogical and geological surveys of the South Shetland Islands again for Christian Salvesen and Co. Ferguson also made collection from the Antarctic mainland at the Palmer Archipelago and Danco coast. Once again other whalers collected samples from the South Orkney Islands.