Accounts, vouchers, shop rentals and other papers relating to the administration of Oxford covered market, arranged in annual bundles, 1794-1855.
Papers relating to the administration of Oxford covered market
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.top.oxon.c.780-2
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Top. Oxon. c. 780-2
- Dates of Creation1794-1855
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description3 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Oxford's covered market was created in an effort to make the main streets of the city more presentable. John Gwynn, architect of Magdalen Bridge, drew up the plans and designed the High Street front with its four entrances.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk).
Given to the Library in 1953.
Collection level description created by Susan Thomas, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 55062-4.