The majority of these papers relate to Prest's time as a committee member of the Royal Commission on Civil Liability and Compensation for Personal Injury. There are also documents relating to his collected writings, his time as editor of the 'Three Banks Review', his time as a member of the Monopolies and Mergers Commission, and miscellaneous correspondence.
PREST, Alan Richmond, 1919-1984, economist
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Alan Richmond Prest, 1919-1985, was educated at Archbishop Holgate School York and Cambridge University. He worked in the Department of Applied Economics at Cambridge, 1945-1948, became a Rockefeller Fellow, USA, 1948-1949 and was a lecturer at Cambridge, 1949-1964. He was a Fellow of Christ's College, Cambridge, 1950-1964, a Tutor, 1954-1955, and Bursar 1955-1964. In 1964, he moved to Manchester University where he held the post of Professor of Economics and Public Finance, 1964-1968, and Stanley Jevons Professorship of Political Economy, 1968-1970. In 1970, he moved to the London School of Economics, where he was Professor of Economics (with special reference to the Public Sector), 1970-1984. During the post war period, Prest became interested in the problems of developing countries. This led him towards the field of national income accounting, and in the early 1950s these interests came together in his work on the national income of Nigeria. He also became interested in public finance both in the UK and in developing countries. This culminated in the work for which he is best known, 'Public Finance in Theory and Practice'.
This collection is arranged in 20 sections:
1. Drafting Committee, 1977-1978.
2. Drafting Material, 1975-1977.
3. Committees, 1976-1977.
4. Groups, 1973-1975.
5. Working Parties, 1973-1976.
6. Visiting Parties, 1974-1975.
7. General Minutes, 1973-1977.
8. Evidence, 1972-1976.
9. Miscellaneous Commission Material, 1967-1977.
10. Venezuela, 1978-1983.
11. Collected Writings, 1961-1985.
12. Articles and Papers, 1949-1983.
13. Reprints, 1946-1985.
14. Three Banks Review, 1956-1984.
15. Conferences and Visits, 1981-1984.
16. University of Amsterdam Courses, 1982-1984.
17. Tax and Social Security Group, 1982-1983.
18. Monopolies and Mergers Commission, 1982-1984.
19. Correspondence, 1947-1984.
20. Miscellaneous, 1939-1983.
Conditions Governing Access
Other Finding Aids
Printed handlist and online catalogue available.
Output from CAIRS using template 14 and checked by hand on May 29, 2002
Conditions Governing Use
COPYRIGHT IS HELD BY THE FAMILY