Contains 79 old songs and other poems; also prose pieces, mostly in English, but with some in Latin, with various dates in the eighteenth century appended to them. On f.1v there is a contents page to the work with page numbers included in it.
Commonplace-book containing transcribed verse and prose of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt 99
- Dates of Creationca. 1770-1790
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Latin
- Physical Description1 vol. (133 ff.), manuscript. Probably written in at least two different hands: the first, a spidery hand mostly for words of songs and psalms, a musician's source book of words; the second, a firmer hand for copies of epitaphs, fine copies of letters, and witty sayings. Both hands are eighteenth-century. Bound in plain vellum which is somewhat worn and discoloured.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The compilers of this collection are unknown.
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased on 19 November 1993.
Mainly in English, but with some Latin.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bclt99