- Miscellaneous papers and articles 1970-1997
- Miscellaneous papers, news cuttings, telex, press releases, correspondence and pamphlets relating to Namibia 1978-1990
- Newscuttings 1985-1995
- Correspondence 1983-1995
- Congress material for the SACP 1991
- Lecture notes (largely undated) 1985
- Minutes of the Alliance Strategizing meeting 1993
- National Adult Basic Education Conference 1993
- Adult literacy publications, reports and correspondence 1989-1994
- ANC 8 January statements 1980-1990
- Statements 1981-1992
- Press statements 1981-1992
- Conference documents 1985-1989
- Speeches 1982-1992
- Papers and discussion documents 1979-1994
- Election materials 1994
- Policy and constitution undated
- Reports and memoranda 1986-1992
- Miscellaneous publication, obituaries, calendars and newsletters 1982-1998
- Miscellaneous leaflets, publications and programmes relating to ANC/political events 1972-1994
Records of George H Johannes, ANC activist
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1847 GHJARC/JP
- Dates of Creation1970-1997
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description4.0 metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
George Johannes joined the outlawed National Congress (ANC) in 1970 , and has worked with them as a full-time political activist since 1976 . As an exile from his native South Africa, he studied at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, and University College, Cork, Ireland, before attending the Universities of Reading and Leicester in England.
As an ANC activist, he has held a number of roles including as journalist with Radio Freedom, Luanda, Angola; Administrative Secretary of the Department of Information and Publicity, Lusaka; Chairperson, ANC Youth Section, London; member of the Editorial Board of the official journal of the ANC Sechaba; member of the Regional Political Committee of the ANC UK Region; Administrative Secretary of the ANC Office in London; ANC representative at the World Federation of Democratic Youth (WFDY), Budapest, Hungary.
Upon returning from exile to post-apartheid South Africa in 1995 , George joined Nelson Mandela's government in new South Africa's Department of Labour as Director for International Relations, before moving to the South African High Commission in London as Political Counsellor in January 1998. George Johannes has lectured at Birkbeck College, University of London, on International Relations and has worked in the fields of information and youth affairs with the ANC.
The material is arranged into series as shown in the scope and content. Within series, items are generally arranged chronologically.
Conditions Governing Access
Bona fide researchers only. Written research proposals should be submitted to the Research Collections Manager.
Following a visit to the University in the autumn of 1998 by the High Commissioner for South Africa, Her Excellency Ms Cheryl Carolus, a member of the visiting party, George Johannes, Counsellor for the Political Section of the Commission, offered to donate material from his own books and papers to form the basis of a new Special Collection. The original deposit, which consisted mainly of books, pamphlets, serials, and posters, has been supplemented with two additional deliveries of predominantly archive materials.
Please note that the archive is not yet fully catalogued and further materials have yet to be identified.
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom. Further information can be found via the Glasgow Caledonian Research Collections homepage http://www.lib.gcal.ac.uk/researchcollections/index.htm .
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Research Collections Manager
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 1847 procedures
Held by George H Johannes
Location of Originals
This material is original
No known publications using this material
Fonds level description compiled by Compiled by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 14 November 2002 .