- Programmes 1968-1990
- Correspondence and plans relating to the building of a new theatre at Tay Square, 1982
- Architectural plans for Tay Square Theatre 1982
- Books of press cuttings and photographs relating to Dundee Repertory Theatre 1939-1971
- Press cuttings books relating to the Alhambra Theatre, Dundee, 1937-1939.
Records of Dundee Repertory Theatre, Dundee, Scotland
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 247 STA Ba 9-Be
- Dates of Creation1937-1990
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description2.25 linear metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Dundee Repertory Theatre was founded in 1939 . The Company was started by Robert Thornley who became director. Thornley's company had performed at the Alhambra Theatre from early 1937 but in May 1939 he moved to the Little Theatre, Victoria Street where he instituted the Dundee Repertory Theatre. Dundee Repertory Theatre originally had premises at the Little Theatre on Victoria Road. It became a private limited company in 1939 (Company no. SC 022513). The Theatre moved to Nicoll Street in the 1950s . The theatre at Nicoll Street was destroyed by fire and a new theatre off Lochee Road was opened 1963 . A new purpose built complex at Tay Square was opened in 1982 . In 1999 it took on a permanent company of 14 actors. The theatre operates as a hosting and a receiving house.
Conditions Governing Access
Other Finding Aids
Item level descriptions are available via the online Scottish Theatre Archive catalogue at http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/STA/search/
Description compiled by Jo Peattie, Scottish Archive Network Project
Conversion from MS Access database, formatting and controlled access terms added by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, November 2002