Minutes, 1897-1976; minutes of some branches, 1901-22, 1936-59; accounts, 1922-79; some correspondence and subject files, 1956-80; Education Welfare Officer , 1946-76; rulebooks, 1965-73.
National Association of Social Workers in Education
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 152 MSS.71
- Dates of Creation1897-1980
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description[ not recorded ]
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The National Association of Social Workers in Education was founded as the School Attendance Officers' National Association in 1884. In 1930 its name was changed to the School Attendance and Investigation Officers' National Association. In 1940 its name was changed again to the Education Welfare Officers' National Association and in 1977 the title of National Association of Social Workers in Education was adopted. In 1939 the union decided to apply for registration as a trade union but not to affiliate to the Trades Union Congress. Since 1947 it has worked closely with NALGO/UNISON with regard to industrial relations and office services. It also has a good working relationship with the National Association of Chief Education Welfare Officers and together they set up the joint National Development Committee for Social Work in Education.
Conditions Governing Access
The archive has been catalogued to file level. A copy of this catalogue is available in paper format in the Centre's searchroom. The Centre also holds the records of R. Grimoldby as president of the association (MSS.122).
An authority file exists for the National Association of Social Workers in Education (GB 152 AAR1277) and its predecessors : the Education Welfare Officers' National Association (GBR 0152 AAR1276); the School Attendance and Investigation Officers' National Association (GBR 0152 AAR1279); and the School Attendance Officers' National Association (GBR 0152 AAR1278).
The archive was placed on indefinite loan in the Centre in 1974. Details of this initial deposit and subsequent accruals are listed below.
- 13th November 1974 : 2 cardboard boxes of records collected by J. Druker from Greenhale House, Stockport [indefinite loan];
- 19th December 1974 : volume of conference proceedings collected by R.A. Storey from EWONA rep. at Exhall Grange School [indefinite loan];
- 25th September 1975 : minute books, correspondence, files and journals delivered to Centre by Mr Coombes, General Secretary of EWONA [indefinite loan];
- 19th March 1980 : 2 boxes and 2 box files of records delivered by Mr C. Conway [indefinite loan];
- 25th February 1981 : a booklet delivered by Mr Turner [indefinite loan];
- 7th November 1983 : 2 items received by post [terms of deposit not specified];
- 1st January 1984 : Newsletter [indefinite loan];
- 12th October 1990 : 1 box of files ex F. Coombes, by post from F. Coombes [indefinite loan];
The deposit of the Newsletter is on-going.