- Lease for a year of Haughton Hall plantation, Jamaica, from JohnTharp to William Blake and Samuel Torrent James, 1776
- Lease and release of a 96 acre plantation in Hanover and Westmoreland,Jamaica, with 83 slaves, from Dame Anne Clark to Sir Simon Haughton Clarke,1798
- Copies of judgements made in the Grand Court of Jamaica against SamuelHorlock, 1777 and Robert McMurdo, 1786, both of whom owed money to James Dickand Robert Milligan
- Acworth's report on Buildings of Architectural orHistorical Interest in the British West Indies, with 36 black-and-whitephotographs of Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada, Antigua, St. Kitts andNevis and associated correspondence, [20th century]
- Correspondence relating to the provision of archive services in the WestIndies, 1948-1962
- Correspondence relating to the Jamaican National Trust [?Commission],1951-1962 and the Old Naval Hospital at Port Royal, Jamaica, 1961-1965
- Reports and correspondence concerning English Harbour, Antigua,1962-1975, with a map of airline routes in the Caribbean
Correspondence and reports of Angus Whiteford Acworth, FSA
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. W. Ind. s. 70
- Dates of Creation[1776-1975]
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description2 boxes
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Angus Whiteford Acworth, FSA (b 1898) was an architect, member of the GeorgianGroup, and author of Treasure in the Caribbean: A FirstStudy of Georgian Buildings in the British West Indies (London, PleiadesBooks, 1949). In 1946, he visited Jamaica at the request of the JamaicanHistorical Association and the British Council, and produced a report onBuildings of Architectural or Historical Interest inthe British West Indies (London, H.M. Stationery Office, 1951), whichincluded draft legislation for the preservation of National Buildings inJamaica.
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
The library holds a card index of all manuscript collections in its reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.