- MS 321;MJ Journal, 1 October 1829 to 1 September 1833 [Sealing voyage, Falkland Islands and Cape Horn, 1 October 1829 to 17 July 1832, whaling voyage, Brazil Banks from Stonington, 8 September 1832 to 1 September 1833] microfilm
Penguin, sealing and whaling voyages
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Ships, Penguin/Sealing and whaling voyages
- Dates of Creation1 October 1829 to 1 September 1833
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description2 journals. The journals are on microfilm.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The first journal covers the United States Sealing voyage, 1829-1831. This voyage saw 3 vessels sail from the American ports of New York and Stonington, Penguin was under the command of Alexander Palmer, Phineas Wilcox was the Mate, Smith 2nd Mate, and George Elliot, 3rd Mate. This was one of several voyages Palmer made to southern oceans during this period.
The second journal relates to a whaling voyage undertaken from Stonington to the Brazil Banks in the 1831/1832 season.
Alternative Form Available
These are copies.
Location of Originals
Originals held by the Library of Congress, U.S.A. (1982)