- MS 86/I Samnugger Jute Factory Co Ltd
- MS 86/II Victoria Jute Factory Co Ltd
- MS 86/III Titaghur Jute Factory Co Ltd
- MS 86/IV Angus Company Ltd
- MS 86/V Thomas Duff & Co Ltd
- MS 86/VI Hardie and Smith Ltd
- MS 86/VII The Dundee Brattice Cloth and Waterproofing Co Ltd
- MS 86/VIII Victoria Road Calendering Co
- MS 86/IX Moore & Weinberg (Dundee) Ltd
- MS 86/X Jaffe Brothers Co (Dundee) Ltd
- MS 86/XI Cargill & Co Ltd
- MS 86/XII William Watson (Dundee) Ltd
- MS 86/XIII James Stiven Ltd
- MS 86/XIV English Spinners Ltd
- MS 86/XV Arctic Leather Goods Company, Dundee
- MS 86/XVI E Carr & Sons Ltd, London
- MS 86/XVII Joseph Grave & Co Ltd, Manchester
- MS 86/XVIII Hillbank Bag Factory, Dundee
- MS 86/XIX A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd
- MS 86/XX A & S Henry & Co
- MS 86/XXI United Kingdom Jute Goods Association Ltd
- MS 86/XXII Indian Jute Mills Association
- MS 86/XXIII Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- MS 86/XXIV British Jute Trade Research Association
- MS 86/XXV Miscellaneous Records
- MS 86/XXVI Miscellaneous Photographs
- MS 86/XXVII Tay Spinners Ltd
A & S Henry & Co Ltd
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
A & S Henry & Co Ltd was founded in 1805 in Manchester by Alexander Henry in partnership with his brother Samuel. Their Uncle, Alexander Henry (born 1766 of Scottish parents), had emigrated to America from Ireland in 1783, establishing himself as a merchant in Philadelphia. The younger Alexander Henry also emigrated from Ireland and joined in his uncle's business but returned to England in 1804 rapidly establishing his company in marketing and distributing the products of the cotton industry from Manchester.
The company expanded opening branch offices in Bradford, Belfast, Leeds, Huddersfield and Glasgow to act as collecting stations for textile products of all kinds. In 1858 an office was opened in Dundee at 51 St Andrews Street although all business continued to be carried out through Glasgow until c.1903.
The company's Dundee interests grew with the acquisition of premises and existing companies in the city and in 1953 A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd was incorporated as a separate company. In 1972 A & S Henry & Co was taken over by Great Universal Stores and in the same year A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd was taken over entirely by the Titaghur Jute Factory Co Ltd.
Records are arranged into sub-fonds by company.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act and any other appropriate legislation.
The records were deposited by A & S Henry & Co Ltd 1984-1993 (AccM/207, AccM/245, AccM/293).
Fonds level description compiled by Sarah Chubb, Archives Hub Project Archivist, December 2001.
Other Finding Aids
Descriptive list. Subject source lists and databases are also available.
Alternative Form Available
No known copies.
Conditions Governing Use
Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges are made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply.
The material is original.