Records of the Oxford Canal Navigation, consisting of accounts, interest books and share transfer books.
Records of the Oxford Canal Navigation
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.top.oxon.a.83-4,b.287-8,c.752-3
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Top. Oxon. a. 83-4, b. 287-8, c. 752-3
- Dates of Creation1772-1848
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description6 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
An Act of Parliament was passed in 1769, allowing the construction of the Oxford canal. The canal was opened in 1790. In 1830 improvement works shortened the canal by 14 miles.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The collection was given to the Library in 1951.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.