Field service pocket book (October 1914); 2 diaries (November 1914-June 1915, February 1916-September 1917); ca. 230 letters, some with photocopies (1914-1919); ca. 100 mounted photographs, some with photocopies (nd); 48 photographs, with negatives, and 2 postcards (June 1915, nd); Leather pouch containing a pipe (nd), a metal name tag (nd) and a two franc piece which was possibly damaged by shot (1875); Bound typescript translation of diary, November 1914-June 1915, by Barrie Lloyd Mills, with drafts and notes (February 1993-March 1994).
Charles Thierry papers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection FR 35
- Dates of Creation1875-1994
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialFrench English
- Physical Description2 boxes; manuscript, typescript, photographs, and postcards (partly photocopy). Includes a leather pouch and pipe, a metal name tag, and a two franc piece.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Charles Auguste Ferdinand Thierry was a Caporal, 176ime Rgiment d'Infanterie, serving in the Dardenelles and on the Western Front.
Handlists at FR 35: Thierry, CAF.
Access is unrestricted.
The papers were placed in the Collection by C.A.F. Thierry in 1973 and 1974. See French Veterans Correspondence File.
In French and English.
Other Finding Aids
French catalogue (hard copy); Item level catalogue of letters with papers in each Box. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available