Contains the log of an anonymous English naval victualler on a voyage from Gravesend in England to Cadiz in the Mediterranean between 31 December 1694 and 29 October 1696.
An abstract of a voyage from England to the Mediteranian : the diary of an anonymous English naval victualler, 1694-1696
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Trv q 1
- Dates of Creation1694-1696
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Spanish Latin Hebrew
- Physical Description1 vol. (80 ff.), manuscript. Written in a single neat late seventeenth-century English hand with the text on each page set within faint ruled lines. There are many tables, diagrams, and quite finely-drawn illustrations of places en route, especially in Spain, and interesting objects, such as keys and seals. Ff.55-80 are blank, except for a few pencilled jottings in a twentieth-century hand on ff.77-79 and the end flyleaf. Bound in contemporary vellum with traces of gilt tooling and decorations on both covers and the spine, and the title of the work written upside-down in relation to the main text. There are two metals clasps on the fore-edges of the volume. There is marbling on both inside covers and endpapers.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The compiler of this manuscript is unknown.
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Sotheby's on 22 January 1965.
Mainly in English, but with some Spanish, Latin, and Hebrew.