Contains the log of an anonymous English naval victualler on a voyage from Gravesend in England to Cadiz in the Mediterranean between 31 December 1694 and 29 October 1696.
An abstract of a voyage from England to the Mediteranian : the diary of an anonymous English naval victualler, 1694-1696
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Trv q 1
- Dates of Creation1694-1696
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Spanish Latin Hebrew
- Physical Description1 vol. (80 ff.), manuscript. Written in a single neat late seventeenth-century English hand with the text on each page set within faint ruled lines. There are many tables, diagrams, and quite finely-drawn illustrations of places en route, especially in Spain, and interesting objects, such as keys and seals. Ff.55-80 are blank, except for a few pencilled jottings in a twentieth-century hand on ff.77-79 and the end flyleaf. Bound in contemporary vellum with traces of gilt tooling and decorations on both covers and the spine, and the title of the work written upside-down in relation to the main text. There are two metals clasps on the fore-edges of the volume. There is marbling on both inside covers and endpapers.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The compiler of this manuscript is unknown.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Sotheby's on 22 January 1965.
Mainly in English, but with some Spanish, Latin, and Hebrew.