- MS 323;MJ Log, 1 August 1820 to 7 May 1821 [On board Hero ] microfilm
Palmer, United States Sealing Voyage
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Nathaniel Brown Palmer/United States Sealing Voyage
- Dates of Creation1 August 1820 - 7 May 1821
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical DescriptionLog book. The ship's log is on microfilm.
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
This United States Sealing voyage from Stonington was under the general command of Benjamin Pendleton. Six ships sailed to the Falkland Islands and South Shetland Islands: Frederick, Hersilia, Hero, Free Gift, Express and Essex. As captain of the Hero Palmer searched for new sealing grounds around Deception Island and sighted part of the Antarctic Peninsular (Palmer Land) in November 1820. This voyage was one of many undertaken from Stonington during these years.
Alternative Form Available
This is a copy.
Location of Originals
The original log is held by the Library of Congress, U.S.A. (1982)