- Correspondence and letters, 1881-2005;
- Investments, 1918-1973;
- Legal papers, 1859-1982;
- Loose wages sheets, 1956;
- Memorandum and articles of association, c1898-1989;
- Share holder cerficates, 1889-1963;
- Papers regarding share allotments 1900-1902;
- Property records 1981-1998;
- Report, 1988-1989;
- Family papers, 1966;
- Certificates of Incorporation, 1961-1997.
Records regarding thread mills in Hilden, Lisburn
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 UGD 199/36
- Dates of Creation1881-2005
- Physical Description1 metre
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
These records comprise mainly of records from The Linen Thread Co Ltd, William Barbour & Sons Ltd of Lisburn, and W & J Knox of Kilbirnie. The Linen Thread Co Ltd was formed in 1898 by the amalgamation of these three companies, before being renamed Lindistries Ltd in the 1960s, but each company retained an individual identity within this amalgamation, with William Barbour & Sons Ltd becoming Barbour Campbell Threads, then amalgamating with Coats Ltd in the 1990s to become Coats Barbour.
These materials were in boxes titled Hilden Historical documents, which primarily consisted of documents from the Linen Thread Co (later known as Lindustries), William Barbour & Sons, and Eltico Mills amoungst others. Although each company still had an individual identity within Lindustries, it was decided that splitting the records up by company would be misleading, if not impossible, and would remove the context of the materials. Similarly, the collection was not simply the records of Lindustries. Subsequently, these materials have been catalogued as a singular entity with an all-encompassing title.