First line: The dim sea glints chill. The white sun is shy.
Written in Steep.
Poem 5 in R. George Thomas, The Collected Poems of Edward Thomas (1978), p. 23.
(1) Typescript once owned by Mary Elizabeth Thomas (Thomas' mother), which incorporates the corrections in (3),
(2) Typescript poem found among the Robert Frost papers in Dartmouth College Library
(3) Typescript once owned by Julian Thomas (Thomas' brother), now in private hands. A later version of (2), corrected by Thomas
(4) Lockwood Memorial Library, no title
(5) Typescript sent to Harry Hooton, bought by Norman Colbeck, now in the Colbeck Collection, University of British Columbia
First published in Edward Eastaway [Edward Thomas], Poems (1917).