- Various papers concerning the UK and International Atomic Energy Authority, including those relating to desalination, 1961-1976;
- Various papers regarding the Multi-flash Steering Committee, c1970s;
- Papers relating to the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, 1962-1973;
- Memorandum and articles of association of the British Launderers Research Association, 1920;
- Papers and drafts by Robert Silver, 1951-c1970s;
- Boiler plans and charts, 1951-1957;
- Papers relating to John Brown Land Boilers Ltd, 1954-1957;
- Various reports and correspondence relating to the British Ship Research Association, 1960-1967;
- Correspondence and papers relating to the Association of Waterworks Officers, c1970s;
- Correspondence of visits abroad by Robert Silver, c1960s-1970s;
- Tape recordings of various talks, undated;
- Curriculum Vitae of Robert Silver, 1979;
- Papers relating to experiments and lectures made by Robert Silver, 1934-1969;
- Applications for various posts made by Robert Silver, 1952-1966.
Papers of Professor Robert Simpson Silver, 1913-1997, engineer, poet and Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 DC 086, DC 138
- Dates of Creation1920-1979
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description11.7 metres
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Robert Simpson Silver was born in 1913 in Montrose, Scotland, where his family had a laundry business. He went on to study natural philosophy at the University of Glasgow , Scotland, where he received his MA and BSc degrees (1st Class Honors). He then continued his studies by taking a PhD which he completed in 1938 , and a DSc in 1945 . Silver took up a career in industry, but gave it up to teach mechanical engineering, and was installed as the Professor of Mechanical Engineering (James Watt Chair) in 1965 . He was a member of the Institute of Physics and of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. Silver was then awarded the UNESCO Prize for science in 1968 and retired in 1979. Robert Simpson Silver died in 1997 .
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received
Conditions Governing Access
Deposits : Robert Simpson Silver and the Department of Mecanical Engineering, University of Glasgow, Scotland : 1979-2004
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
No known publications using this material
Description compiled in line with the following international standards: International Council on Archives, ISAD(G) Second Edition, September 1999 and National Council on Archives, Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names
Scotland is the location of all place names in the administrative/biographical history element, unless otherwise stated.
Fonds level description created by Andrew Thomson, Hub Project Archivist, 25 February 2005
Amended by Sam Maddra, Assistant Archivist (cataloguing), 19/10/2015.