The letters are largely those to Simpson from Thomas Chalmers, and Sir George Sinclair. There are also letters from the Earl of Morton and Lady Morton, the Duke of Buccleuch, the Duke of Richmond, the Earl of Rosebery, Lord Stanley, Baron Torphichen, and the Marquis of Tweeddale.
Letters of Rev. Alexander Lockhart Simpson (1785-1861)
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 237 Coll-772
- Dates of Creation1835-1854
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description62 letters. Access to records in a fragile condition may be restricted.
- LocationMSS BOX 1.4.1-130
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Rev. Alexander Lockhart Simpson was born in 1785 and died in 1861. He had been Minister of Kirknewton.
Generally open for consultation to bona fide researchers, but please contact repository for details in advance.
The biographical/administrative history was compiled using material contained in the collection.
Compiled by Graeme D Eddie, Edinburgh University Library, Special Collections Division.
Other Finding Aids
Check the local Indexes for details of any additions.