- Incomplete typed script, manuscript and manuscript notes of the Golden Age of the Middle Class, 1918-1920;
- Correspondence from Dr A J Carlyle, chaplain and lecturer in Politics, University College, Oxford, c1918;
- Manuscript notes for Education for Democracy in America, 1938-1939;
- Typescript of Education for Democracy in America by Robert MacDonald, written after Commonwealth Fund Fellowship, 1938-1939
- Stories of the Old Inspectors , by Robert MacDonald undated manuscript;
- The Fabulists , by Robert MacDonald undated manuscript;
- Typescript of unpublished book on 4 authors; Shaw, Kipling, Wells and Chesterton undated;
- Scottish Pioneers in Education Overseas , by Robert MacDonald, in 2 volumes undated.
Papers of Robert MacDonald, 1902- , Chief Inspector of Schools, Assistant in the Department of Education, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 DC 322
- Dates of Creation1918-1939
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description0.2 metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Robert MacDonald was born in Glasgow in 1902 and educated at Paisley Grammar School. He gained his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Glasgow 1922 . He also attended Lincoln College, Oxford (BA) and Moray House College of Education (Dip Ed). He taught English at Grangemouth and Edinburgh before being appointed H M Inspector of Schools, 1930 . He was awarded a Commonwealth Fund Fellowship ( 1938-1939 ) and became H M Chief Inspector of Schools in 1949 . He retired in 1962. From 1963-1966 , Robert MacDonald was assistant in the Department of Education, Glasgow University. He was also visiting Professor of Education, Dalhousie University, Nova Scotia, Canada, 1966-1968.
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received
Conditions Governing Access
: Mrs Winifred MacDonald : 28 Ravelston Garden, Edinburgh : 1993
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom.
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Fonds level compiled by Hannah Westall, Archive Assistant, 19 May 2000. Lower level descriptions compiled by Glasgow University Archive Services staff. Finding aid created by Andrew Thomson, Hub Project Archivist, 09 February 2004. Catalogue edited by Michelle Kaye, Archives Assistant, 13 July 2012.
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
Deposited by the creator's wife.
Location of Originals
This material is original
No known publications using this material