This correspondence documents a long-running research collaboration on comparative genomics of platypus, echidna and various marsupials between Ferguson-Smith's laboratory in Cambridge and the laboratory of Professor Jennifer A Marshall Graves at La Trobe University, Australia (then at the Australian National University, Canberra).
As the Malcolm Ferguson Smith correspondence section is particularly large it has been divided into the following series, each with its own separate description:
- UGC 188/3/1, correspondence from 1959-1961;
- UGC 188/3/2, correspondence from 1961-1964;
- UGC 188/3/3, correspondence from 1965-1975;
- UGC 188/3/4, correspondence from 1976-1980;
- UGC 188/3/5, correspondence from 1981-1983;
- UGC 188/3/6, correspondence from 1984-1987;
- UGC 188/3/7, correspondence from 1987-1998;
- UGC 188/3/8, correspondence from 1998-2002;
- UGC 188/3/9, correspondence with Victor Almon McKusick;
- UGC 188/3/10, correspondence with Jennifer A Marshall Graves;
- UGC 188/3/11, references and recommendations.