Supplementary accession of Cumberland and Northumberland deeds, manorial and estate records and miscellaneous volumes and papers, 16th-20th centuries but predominantly 19th- 20th centuries. For fuller details of the geographical range of this section of the collection and the nature of the manorial and estate records described below see the general description of the Howard of Naworth Papers under Administrative etc. history. There is some overlap between material in this section and that in other sections of the Howard of Naworth Papers, particularly in the two main series of Cumberland and Northumberland material and the HNP 1995/1996 supplementary deposit.
Material in this accession is arranged in three parts. The contents (with temporary box and volume references) include:
Part 1 Cumberland deeds, correspondence etc.
- HNP deeds etc. bundles C81, C110 (box 1; omitted from the main deposit of HNP Cumberland deeds etc. C1-C293 made in 1960).
- HNP deeds etc. bundles C232, C263, C277, C303, C313, C317, C348 and C355 (box 2).
- Bundle of correspondence etc. 28 (box 3; stray from the series numbered in ink described in Part 3 below).
Northumberland deeds, correspondence etc.
- HNP deeds etc. bundle N59 (box 4; omitted from the main deposit of HNP Northumberland deeds etc. N1-N124 made in 1954).
- Correspondence folder 121 re Northumberland estate, Netherton colliery, ca.1950- 1960 (box 4).
- Bundle of volumes, papers and accounts re executorship of Rosalind Howard, Countess of Carlisle (died 21 August 1921), including probate copies of her will and that of the 9th Earl of Carlisle and a copy of the 1922 deed of settlement of the Howard estates (boxes 5-7).
Part 2 (Letter books) Cumberland estate
- 22 copy letter books re the Cumberland estates, ca.1898-1943 (HNP 1982 accession: volumes).
Castle Howard, Yorkshire estate
- 1 copy letter book, labelled no.3, 1908-1931 (HNP 1982 accession: volumes).
- 3 copy letter books of Leif Jones (Leifchild Stratten Jones, 1862-1939, politician, secretary to Rosalind Howard, Countess of Carlisle, and chief agent on the Howards' Yorkshire and Cumberland estates; from 1932 known as Leifchild Stratten Leif-Jones, Baron Rhayader), 1907-1916, 1924-1930 (HNP 1982 accession: volumes).
Part 3 Material selected by the Howard family as being of historic interest
- Box (contents unlisted) containing copies, abstracts and translations of documents relating to the Dacre and Howard families made by J.P. Hore in the early 20th century, with related correspondence and notes and a parcel of original documents, ca.1562- 1831. (box 21; for more information on these families see the general description of the Howard of Naworth Papers under Scope and content and Administrative history etc.).
- Folder (contents unlisted) containing original letters, accounts etc., 18th-19th centuries (box 22).
Estates - general
- Folder of agents' correspondence concerning various matters re the Howard estates, ca.1909-1916 (box 26).
Cumberland estate - general
- 14 volumes, chiefly rentals, cash books and ledgers re Askerton estate, minerals estate and Boothby saw mill, 20th century (box 8 and HNP 1982 accession: volumes).
- Letters and reports of T. Marriner, clerk of works, 1919-1925 (box 13).
Northumberland estate, often known as Morpeth estate - general
- Reports, valuations and printed sale catalogues relating to the sales of extensive areas of the Howards' Northumberland estates, 1889-1890 and 1915, including reference to Morpeth Town Hall, Hepscott Red House etc., late 19th century and first half of the 20th century (boxes 9-10, 19; for related material re the sales of the estates see descriptions of the main series of Northumberland material among the Howard of Naworth Papers and the HNP 1967 and 1971 supplementary deposits).
- Box-file of miscellaneous papers re Ulgham advowson, Morpeth tithes, mineral rights etc., first half of 20th century (box 20).
- Two volumes re Morpeth estate accounts, 1913 and 1917-1935 (boxes 10-11).
- Two Morpeth estate rental volumes 1917-1942 (box 10).
- Morpeth estate letter book, 1917-1943 (box 10).
- Schedule of Morpeth estate deeds etc. in Boothby, Cumberland muniment room received from Castle Howard, Yorkshire, December 1933 (box 22).
Naworth estate (Cumberland estate with Featherstone and Thirlwall manors, Northumberland) and Morpeth, Northumberland estate - collieries, quarries, other industries and railways
- Messrs. G.B. and T.E. Forster's annual reports on the coal royalties on the Naworth and Morpeth estates, 1899-1933 (box 8).
- Messrs. G.B. and T.E. Forster's annual reports on the coal worked on the Morpeth estate, 1916-1942 (box 11).
- Incomplete series of bundles numbered in ink 1-311 (with many gaps in the series and few bundles numbered above 71; for bundle 28 see Part 1 above); these are arranged more or less alphabetically by place or topic and appear to contain chiefly correspondence and accounts, much of it relating to mineral workings, quarries, railways and roads, from the late 19th century and first half of the 20th century (boxes 26-63).
- 22 folders (from a longer series) numbered in blue crayon or ballpoint pen 115-204 (with gaps); these are arranged more or less alphabetically by place or topic and appear to contain chiefly correspondence and accounts, relating both to mineral workings, quarries, roads and railways and to general estate and family topics, ca.1940s-1960s (boxes 63-66).
- Box-file 113: Naworth collieries dilapidations at end of Thompson lease, ca. late 19th century and first half of the 20th century (box 14).
- Two box-files re Butterburn Road, ca. late 19th century and first half of the 20th century (boxes 15-16).
- Two box-files of papers re Morpeth estate royalties, ca. late 19th century and first half of the 20th century (boxes 17-18).
- Box of miscellaneous correspondence , accounts etc. re Naworth estate collieries, quarries, brick and tile works and railways, 20th century (box 25).
- Folder of correspondence re Brampton branch of the North Eastern Railway, 1903- 1926 (box 24).
- Folder of correspondence etc. re Naworth colliery railway, ca.1953-1957 (box 24).
- Box-file of clerk of works' correspondence re Castle Howard, Yorkshire, 1912-1926 (box 12).
Records of building works and architects - general
- Series of plans and elevations by Philip Webb (1831-1915), architect, relating to work at Brampton, Cumberland, 1875-1876 [some of it perhaps never carried out], a church at Thurstaton, Cheshire, n.d. [possibly by Webb but probably not built], and 1 Palace Green, Kensington, the London home of the Howards (24 plans and elevations, chiefly re alterations to the drainage system), 1883-1896 (boxes 67-68).
- Two plans by Daniel Smith, Son & Oakley showing the boundaries of the Howard and other properties in Palace Green, Kensington, 1881 (box 67).
- (For other architectural material see description of the two main series of Cumberland deeds etc. and Northumberland material among the Howard of Naworth Papers.)
- Four inventories of furniture and effects at Naworth Castle, Cumberland, 1832-1868 (box 22).
- Deeds and papers, 1911-1933, relating in particular to the marriage settlement, 1864, marriage settlement trust, and testamentary estates of George James Howard, 9th Earl of Carlisle (died 1911) and his wife Rosalind Howard, Countess of Carlisle (died 1921), and to the testamentary estate of their son, Charles Howard, 10th Earl of Carlisle (died 1912) (box 22).