French-German dictionary (1821); 51 photographs, mostly from Alsace, with negatives and photocopies (1917-1935, nd); Programme for Kaiser's birthday at Charleville (27 January 1918); 58 photographic slides (nd); Nose cap of German shell (nd); Photographic slide (nd); Medal ribbon (nd); Split bullet (nd); Photocopied Muller family tree (nd); Typescript recollections 'Dad' by his son, Dr H.G. Muller, with photocopied certificates and wedding photograph from 1926 (nd); Transcript of lecture 'Balloons at War' given by his son, Dr H.G. Muller, to the Yorkshire Militaria Club, accompanied by 52 illustrative slides (Nov 1977); Photocopied certificates relating to medals and war service (1935); Photocopied note issued by the Workers and Soldiers Council, Dsseldorf, entitling him to carry his sword (22 November 1918); Photocopied birth certificate (23 March 1897); Photocopied German logbook for free-flight balloon aviation (21 October 1916-18 December 1916); 2 Photocopied German pay-books (1893, 1914).
Franz Muller papers.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-liddlecollectionge20
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection GE 20
- Dates of Creation1821-1977
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialGerman English
- Physical Description2 boxes; manuscript, typescript, photographs, and printed material (mainly photocopy). Includes photographic slides, the nose cap of a German shell, a medal ribbon, a split bullet, and his birth certificate.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Franz Johann Joseph (Hans) Muller (1897-1970) was a Reserve Lieutenant serving with the Luftwaffe, mainly with the 25th Balloon Section, on the Western and Eastern Fronts from January 1915. He was awarded the German Iron Cross and also received an Austrian award for bravery. He was demobilized on 22 November 1918. Having a Jewish wife, he was dismissed from his job in hotel administration by the Nazi Party in 1933 and arrested by them in 1936.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
The papers were placed in the Collection by Dr H.G. Muller (son).
In German and English.
Other Finding Aids
German catalogue (hard copy) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available