The Dental Hospital of Manchester was founded in 1884 as a voluntary hospital in Grosvenor Street. The Hospital grew rapidly and new accommodation was found in Devonshire Street in 1892. In 1908, the Hospital moved to a larger purpose-built building, at 190 Oxford Road (now part of Manchester Museum). The Dental School had close associations with the University of Manchester and became an important centre for dental education. In 1933 the University formally took over the running of the School and the Hospital. In 1940 the Dental School moved to new premises on Cambridge St., where it remains. In 1948, with the advent of the NHS, the Dental Hospital became part of the United Manchester Hospitals Group and is now called the University Dental Hospital of Manchester. The Dental School's teaching work came under the supervision of the Faculty of Medicine, and the School's sub-committees concerned with dental education reported to the Faculty. The records in this series comprise the minutes of the Dental Committee (established in 1905) and its successor body, the Dental Education Committee set up in 1933. General administrative records of the Dental Hospital and School form part of an independent archive.
Minutes of Dental School Committees
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 FME/5
- Dates of Creation1919-1951
- Physical Description3 items