The University Medical School was originally located in premises in Coupland St, opened in 1873. By the 1940s, it was generally felt that these were inadequate, and plans were made to develop a new building, closer to the Manchester Royal Infirmary on Oxford Road. It was not until the 1960s that this building project was finalised. A new Medical School was built between 1969-1973 in the south-eastern section of the campus, between Oxford Road and Upper Brook St. An Executive Dean, F.B. Beswick, was appointed in recognition of the extra workload the Faculty was under during this period. The Medical School was officially opened by Lord Todd in September 1973, and is usually known as the Stopford Building.
Similar documents may be found in the Manchester Medical Collection, MMC/5/7/5.