Archive of the University of Manchester, Faculty of Medicine. The Faculty was the main academic unit for medicine and allied disicplines.
The archive comprises the minutes of the Board of Faculty and its sub-committees from creation in 1903 to the 1990s. The minutes of the Board (FME/1) cover 1903 to 1994, and deal with the routine governance of the Faculty. The minutes of the Standing Committee of the Board (FME/2) are closely related to the Board minutes. FME/3 comprises minutes of the various sub-committees of the Board; some of these committees such as the Curriculum Committee and the Postgraduate Committee are important for the development of the Faculty's teaching programme. FME/4 consists of the early minutes of the Faculty Development Sub-Committee, which reported to the Joint Committee on University Development, rather than to the Faculty Board; these minutes are important for the financial management of the Faculty, particularly in relation to academic staff appointments. The records of committees of the Dental School form discrete series (FME/5); these minutes concern only matters of curriculum and examination. The records of the Dean of Faculty (FME/6) comprise administrative papers related to the management of the faculty; these are comparatively few in number, and it is believed that most of the Dean's files have been destroyed.
The other papers are a miscellany of documents concerning staff, students and curricula. The composite series FME/7 contains a range of documents relating to medical students, including student registers, allocation books (which record student assignments in clinical teaching) and declaration books. There are also staff lists (FME/8) from the 1980s and early 1990s. FME/9 contains documents relating to the building of the new Medical School (generally known as the Stopford Building) between 1969-1973. FME/11 comprises the papers of the Senior Management Team, the main executive body during the late 1990s and early 2000s, and FME/12 the minutes of the Policy and Resources Committee, which replaced the Faculty Development Sub-Committee.
The archive comprises records of the Faculty, its committees and officers; it does not include the records of the individual clinical and academic departments which came under the auspices of the Faculty. The archive is of considerable value for tracing the development of medical education at one of Britain's leading university medical/dentistry schools.