Roger Sedgwick was joint founder in 1771 of Manchester's first bank, Byrom Allen Sedgwick and Place. He was born around 1724, the son of Roger Sedgwick (d 1733) and died in January 1779. Sedgwick was a bachelor in physic (probably gained at Cambridge) and practised as a physician all his life, from his family home in Deansgate. Sedgwick was a man of considerable means, with property in Manchester and Pendleton. He was a strong supporter of the new Manchester Infirmary and was a regular subscriber. From 1756 Sedgwick assisted the physicians during their occasional absences. In 1753, he nearly sold part of his garden for the erection of the new Infirmary. However, this site, close to the Irwell, was seen as less favourable than the land of Sir Oswald Mosley (later Piccadilly). Sedgwick left land in Manchester and Pendleton to his wife, Mary, and was buried in St Ann's graveyard.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 MMC/2/Sedgwick
- Physical Description1 file