Manchester Chronic Diseases Hospital

  • Reference
      GB 133 MMC/9/59
  • Former Reference
      GB 133 J b 56
  • Dates of Creation
      1871-[1890s]
  • Physical Description
      2 items

Administrative / Biographical History

Manchester Chronic Diseases Hospital for the County of Lancaster was founded in 1871 in a large house at 35, Hyde Road, Ardwick. The Hospital admitted people with chronic or incurable diseases, no charge was made on the condition that they could not be admitted to already existing institutions. It was a voluntary hospital with six beds, and large numbers of out-patients. The establishment of the Chronic Diseases Hospital may have been connected to the Northern Counties Hospital for Incurables (MMC/9/14). This was established in Ardwick Green in 1872; the same individuals sat on both committees and the original objectives of the Hospitals were similar. Manchester Chronic Diseases Hospital later changed its name to The Manchester Hospital for Skin, Cancer, Scrofula and all Chronic Diseases. This presumably reflects a change in practice, which may have been caused by the proximity of the Northern Counties Hospital. By the 1890s the Hospital was called Manchester Hospital for Diseases of the Skin, with Dr Henry Stanley Gale as physician. The Hospital probably closed in the late 1890s.

Related Material

See Manchester and Salford Skin Hospital, MMC/9/18/3/1 for some typescript notes which relate to physicians at both hospitals.