Manchester Ear Hospital

  • Reference
      GB 133 MMC/9/15
  • Former Reference
      GB 133 J b 11
  • Dates of Creation
      1865-1946
  • Physical Description
      3 series, 35 items

Scope and Content

Note: the Medical Collection does not include any official records of this hospital. This includes any records relating to patient admissions, treatment and discharge. Some Hospital records are held by Manchester Archives and Local Studies, Central Library, St. Peter's Square, Manchester (ref. M334).

Three series:

  • /1 Annual reports
  • /2 Fund-raising
  • /3 Building

Administrative / Biographical History

The Manchester Institution for Diseases of the Ear was founded in 1855 by Professor W C Williamson, a general practitioner and Professor of Natural History at Owens College. The first president was Sir James Lomax Bardsley, who retired in 1874. Like most voluntary hospitals, the hospital was run on a system of subscriptions and recommendations, and from its early years took patients from a wide area. The hospital first rented rooms in 9 Oxford Street, before moving to 6 Lower Mosley Street in 1867. By 1884 the hospital had moved to 23 Byrom Street, where its first matron was appointed. The surgeon William Milligan was appointed in 1890; he rapidly developed the surgery of ear nose and throat as a speciality and was instrumental in the growing use of radium in Manchester. The hospital first provided accommodation for in-patients in 1893. This was followed by an extension in 1896, and a new title, Manchester Ear Hospital. By 1903, recommendations were no longer required. The hospital moved into new premises in All Saints in Grosvenor Square in 1911, where it remained until it closed in 1974. The name of the hospital had changed again in 1937, to the Manchester Ear Hospital for Diseases of the Ear, Nose and Throat.