In the late nineteenth century, Withington Urban District Council recognised the need for a hospital for the treatment of infectious diseases. Due to changes in local government, the District could no longer send its fever patients to Monsall Hospital. It consequently purchased a site at Baguley, near Wythenshawe, where an isolation hospital had existed since 1900. The Council built a sanatorium on the site for the treatment of infectious diseases. Baguley Sanatorium opened in 1902; with one hundred beds it was a very large hospital. Public health needs changed in the early twentieth century and notification of tuberculosis became compulsory in 1912. Baguley Sanatorium was converted from a fever hospital into a sanatorium for the treatment of tuberculosis. Using capital from the National Insurance scheme, Baguley Sanatorium was extended to over 300 beds and reopened in 1912. Most patients were insured workers and had paid for their treatment. It came under the management of Manchester Corporation in 1915 and became Baguley Hospital.
Dr Hugh George Trayer (1889-1975) was medical superintendent at Baguley Sanatorium from 1922 until his retirement in 1954; he is credited with raising the standards of nursing in tuberculosis. In preparation for the impending second world war, a temporary hutted hospital was erected by Manchester Corporation in the grounds of Baguley Sanatorium. These buildings became known as Baguley Emergency Hospital and received air-raid casualties as part of the Emergency Medical Services. Baguley Emergency Hospital had a specialist Plastic Surgery and Maxillo-facial Unit. When the EMS hospital closed in 1945, the site reverted to its original purpose of provision of chest medicine, but the Plastic Surgery Unit remained. This unit was transferred to Withington Hospital in 1969.
When Baguley Hospital became part of the NHS in 1948, many of the wards built during the war were empty. These were later reopened as Wythenshawe Hospital. Baguley Hospital remained as a chest hospital devoted to the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis until it closed in 1975. A new chest clinic opened in 1952, which treated large numbers of out-patients. Baguley closed in 1975 when it merged with Wythenshawe Hospital.