The National School of Chiropody and Free Foot Hospital opened in the Strangeways district of Manchester in 1931. It trained chriopodists and provided poditatric care to the local population. In 1933, it moved to much larger premises in the Bury New Road. The School closed on the outbreak of war in 1939 and patients were transferred to the Ancoats Foot Hospital. The chiropody school was effectively revived in the post-war as part of Salford Technical College. In 1971, the Salford school merged with the Manchester Foot Hospital's school of chiropody to form the Northern College of Chiropody, at the time the largest school of its kind in Europe.
Free Foot Hospital and National School of Chiropody
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 MMC/9/68
- Dates of Creation1933
- Physical Description5 items
Administrative / Biographical History
The documents were donated by Mr Nigel Platts in 2020 (his mother had trained at the School).