Very little material has survived for the Mount St. School, and most of the documents in this collection are sourced from secondary material. There is some general historical material about the location of the School [MMC/5/4/1], and material relating to staff and teaching.
Mount Street School (includes Bridge St School)
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 MMC/5/4
- Former ReferenceGB 133 F 4 g
- Dates of Creation1827-1965
- Physical Description13 items
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Mount St. School was opened in 1826 and closed in 1834. It was the creation of Joseph Jordan, who had been responsible for Manchester's first school of anatomy in Bridge St. Mount St. was officially titled the Manchester Medical institution. The School had a large lecture theatre, dissecting rooms, a museum and library. Jordan also provided private dissecting rooms for qualified medical practitioners. Jordan lectured in anatomy at the School, along by Thomas Radford (midwifery), John Davies (chemistry), John Boutflower (surgery), George Freckleton (medicine and materia medicine). It appears that several of these individuals fell out with Jordan and quit the School. By 1828, the curriculum had been reduced to anatomy, surgery and physiology. The School normally had around sixty students. In 1834 the School closed and the building was demolished. Mount St. students transferred to the Manchester School of Medicine in Pine St. In 1838-39, Jordan was a lecturer in surgery at Pine St. and in 1842 he donated his museum to the MRSM.
Jordan's original school of anatomy was in Bridge St. and opened in 1814. Very little is known about this school. In 1817 the Society of Apothecaries recognised Jordan's certificates as acceptable for its diploma.
- MMC/5/4/1 - General History
- MMC/5/4/2 - Pictures and Plans
- MMC/5/4/3 - Syllabuses
- MMC/5/4/4 - Staff
- MMC/5/4/5 - Advertisements
- MMC/5/4/6 - Lectures