Manchester Poor Law Hospitals

  • Reference
      GB 133 MMC/9/58
  • Former Reference
      GB 133 J b 55
  • Dates of Creation
      1924
  • Physical Description
      1 item

Administrative / Biographical History

The old Manchester Union had two hospitals, Crumpsall and Springfield. In 1915, the Manchester, Chorlton and Prestwich Unions merged to form Manchester Union. Chorlton Union Hospital at Withington became the local hospital for South Manchester. Crumpsall Hospital merged with Delaunays Hospital (previously Prestwich Union, but adjacent to Crumpsall) to form Crumpsall Hospital, a general hospital for North Manchester. Booth Hall Hospital, formerly Prestwich Union general hospital became a children's hospital for the whole district. In 1930, these Poor Law hospitals were taken over by Manchester Corporation. All hospitals joined the NHS in 1948, although Withington had a different status as part of South Manchester Teaching Hospitals. See individual hospitals for more detailed information.