Wythenshawe Hospital

  • Reference
      GB 133 MMC/9/37
  • Former Reference
      GB 133 J b 32
  • Dates of Creation
      1959-2002
  • Physical Description
      11 items

Scope and Content

Note: the Medical Collection does not include any official records of this hospital. This includes any records relating to patient admissions, treatment and discharge.

Cuttings relating to medical activities and social events at Wythenshawe Hospital.

Administrative / Biographical History

Wythenshawe Hospital was established in 1952. It was a general hospital on the site of Baguley Emergency Hospital (Baguley Hospital remained as an independent Chest Hospital). The site was large, but many of the buildings were derelict. Wythenshawe was on the list of the Ministry of Health lists of the first new hospitals to be built under the NHS. Amidst controversy, it was decided to build the hospital on the site of the present Baguley Hospital, rather than on the site of the Emergency Hospital, retaining the temporary buildings. A new maternity hospital was opened in 1965 and the rest of the new hospital was completed by 1973. The temporary buildings were finally demolished in 1994 after a decision to rationalise Withington and Wythenshawe Hospitals with Wythenshawe as the main hospital taking all in-patients. Wythenshawe is a large hospital specialising in cardiac care and emergencies and has a new teaching hospital.

Bibliography

Robert Price Davies, Baguley and Wythenshawe Hospitals: A History, Manchester 2002 is the standard history of the hospital.