The Department of Clinical Investigations and Research was set up in 1924 as a joint enterprise between the University and the Manchester Royal Infirmary. Its purpose was to undertake basic clinical research, and from 1925 it was supervised by a joint University-Infirmary Committee. The Department was headed by a Director, Dr John Wilkinson, a haematologist, and was based at MRI. The Committee was chaired by the vice-chancellor and had a technical sub-committee chaired by Professor H. S. Raper, professor of physiology at the University. The Committee was wound up in 1946, by which time the University had more ambitious and diverse plans for medical research. The records include the minutes of the Technical Sub-Committee.
The former reference for these items was RA/19.