Sir George Nayler's interleaved copy of the 1827 printed work The Most Honourable Military Order of the Bath. The work contains the names of officers who have had the Order conferred for services in the late war (some death dates added in manuscript), and also the rules of the Order. This interleaved copy contains many manuscript notes and alterations for revised Rules and Ordinances, dated 1832.
Annotated copy: Statutes, Ordinances and Officers of the Order of the Bath
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 Eng MS 473
- Dates of Creation1827-1832
- Name of Creator
- Physical Description235 x 140 mm. 1 volume;
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sir George Nayler (baptised 1764, d 1831) held various heraldic appointments from 1792. In 1793 he became genealogist to the Order of the Bath. Under the statutes, the genealogist had the power to examine and enter pedigrees and arms of knights and esquires. Unlike previous genealogists, Nayler decided to exercise this right. To gain the best financial benefit from this right, he opened his own series of registers for the Order of the Bath, rather than enter the information in the College of Arms registers. In 1806 he was appointed inspector of regimental colours with responsibility for producing regimental badges. It was Nayler who suggested the enlargement of the Order of the Bath, which was achieved by a royal warrant in 1815. This confirmed Nayler in his offices, and he was appointed officer of arms attendant upon the knights commanders and companions. In 1820 he was made Clarenceux king of arms and officiated at the coronation of George IV in 1821. Nayler succeeded Heard as Garter on 11 May 1822. He died on 28 October 1831 and his extensive library was sold by Sotheby's in 1832.
Source: Thomas Woodcock, 'Nayler, Sir George (bap. 1764, d. 1831)'; Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004. By permission of Oxford University Press - http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ref:odnb/19813.
Former owner: Sir Albert William Woods (bookplate).