Documents relating to UMIST buildings

  • Reference
      GB 133 TOP/14
  • Dates of Creation
      1899-1997
  • Physical Description
      13 items

Scope and Content

These are mostly commemorative booklets issued at the opening of buildings/extensions.. Some include photographs and floor plans.

  • /1 Manchester Municipal Technical School: tentative sketch block plans (1899)
  • /2 Opening of the new mechanical engineering laboratories (1950) [within the 1899 building].
  • /3 Official opening of the College extension (1957).
  • /4 Official opening of the chemical engineering (The Mill) building (1958).
  • /5 Stone laying ceremony for Lecture room block (1960).
  • /6 Lecture room (Renold) building (reprinted from The Builder 1962).
  • /7 pack containing press release (issued by the Rank Organization), 24 August 1962, a lengthy description of the building prepared by the architects, Cruickshank and Seward, and a colour photograph of the main lecture theatre.
  • /8 Official opening of the civil engineering (Pariser) and paper science buildings (1963).
  • /9 "Chemistry at UMIST", opening of the chemistry building (1968).
  • /10 Opening of the Ferranti building (1970).
  • /11 Opening of the Harold Hartley laboratory for control engineering (1970).
  • /12 Opening of the (George Begg) mechanical engineering building (1974).
  • /13 Fairbairn building (1997).