Manchester District Association of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches

  • Reference
      GB 133 UCC/5/13
  • Dates of Creation
      1833-2010
  • Physical Description
      60 items

Scope and Content

Various administrative documents relating to the affairs of the Association. Most are contained in bound volumes, although those from 2004 onwards were bundled together in loose leaf folders.

Administrative / Biographical History

The Manchester District Unitarian Association was formed in 1859. Initially it was a body of 'gentlemen subscribers' formed as a successor to the Lancashire and Cheshire Missionary Society (1821). It was reformed on a democratic basis with ministerial and lay representation of its member congregations in 1891. Its constitution stated that 'the objects of the Association be, to render aid to existing Churches, to assist in forming new ones, to promote religious services for the people, whether within or without the churches, and to further other missionary effort.'

Arrangement

The collection was arranged into the following categories:

  • UCC/5/13/1 - Annual Reports
  • UCC/5/13/2 - Minutes
  • UCC/5/13/3 - Accounts
  • UCC/5/13/4 - Manchester Domestic Mission
  • UCC/5/13/5 - Legal Documents
  • UCC/5/13/6 - Manchester First Circuit Church
  • UCC/5/13/7 - Cross Street Chapel
  • UCC/5/13/8 - Lancashire and Cheshire Unitarian Mission Society

Acquisition Information

Cross Street Chapel, Manchester

Custodial History

The material was collected and stored at Cross Street Chapel in Manchester. It was transferred to the Rylands as a part of the Unitarian College Collection in 2014.