The Manchester Museum was an integral part of Owens College since 1872. It was founded on the collections of the Manchester Natural History Society and Manchester Geological Society. The Museum occupied accommodation in the north-eastern corner of the College quadrangle (its main building opened in 1888). It was governed by a Committee of Management, answerable to Council, which included representatives of Manchester City Council and the Museum's subscribers. Day-to-day running of the Museum was in the hands of a Director, although the College professors of botany, zoology and geology were also involved in managing individual departments.
Records relating to Manchester Museum
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 OCA/14
- Dates of Creation1873-1900
- Physical Description5 items
Administrative / Biographical History
Most of the Museum's records, includes the minutes of the Museum Committee, are retained by Manchester Museum.