Records of the College Associates

  • Reference
      GB 133 OCA/13
  • Dates of Creation
      1871-1909
  • Physical Description
      8 items

Scope and Content

Records include the minutes of the Associates' meetings, 1871-1909, plus registers and lists of members.

Lists of Associates were included in the annual calendars (OCA/3).

Administrative / Biographical History

The Associates were a special category of College alumni, who were granted certain privileges and a role in the government of the College. The Associates were originally those students who had distinguished themselves in College examinations or who were graduates of the University of London or were medically qualified. Membership was later extended to Owens graduates of the Victoria University. The Associates had the right to elect four members of Court, and were allowed admission to lectures, gymnasium and the Library. Applications for Associate status were submitted to Senate, and on approval, were confirmed by Council. Associates paid a registration fee of one guinea to the Associates ' Fund upon election. The Associates continued in existence after the dissolution of Owens College in 1904, finally being disbanded in 1909. Their residual funds were transferred to the University Unions building fund.