The Trustees were originally empowered by the will of John Owens to devise a scheme of arrangement for the College. From the opening of the College in 1851 to the amalgamation with the Owens Extension College in 1871, they were governing body of the College. The Trustees enjoyed very wide powers over College finances and property, hiring of staff, admission of students and rules and regulations. George Faulkner was chair of the Trustees from 1845 until his death in 1862. He was succeeded by William Neild (died 1864), who was in turn followed by Alfred Neild. Neild became College Treasurer and chair of Council on the introduction of the new governing bodies in 1870/1. The Trustees formally relinquished their powers to the Court of Governors in October 1872 (see OCA/1/5). The records include a complete set of the minutes of the Trustees meetings (OCA/5/1), rough minutes (OCA/5/2) and papers presented to meetings, 1867-1872 (OCA/5/3).
Records of the Trustees of Owens College
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- ReferenceGB 133 OCA/5
- Dates of Creation1845-1872
- Physical Description12 items